Saturday, April 10, 2010

In My Family


In My Family

Written and Illustrated by: Carmen Lomas Garza

Available in English and Spanish

Taken from the introduction of In My Family: "When I was growing up, a lot of us were punished for speaking Spanish. We were punished for being who we were, and we were made to feel ashamed of our culture. That was very wrong. My art is a way of healing these wounds."

This is a very touching auto-biographical story told in pictures of how the author dealt with cultural issues related to growing up in a Mexican-American community in Texas. If you loved her first book, Family Pictures, you'll love sharing more of the stories and images that remain so vividly in Carmen's memory, and that have influenced so much of her art.

Winner of the Pura Belpre Honor Book, 1997
Texas Bluebonnett Master List, 1997-1998

No comments:

Post a Comment